Have you struggled with thin or brittle fingernails? This could be an indication of a lack of nutrients in your diet, or it could be directly affected by what you put on your nails.
Gel nails and gel polish have become very popular and I have become a huge fan! They look great, have a lot less maintenance than regular polish, and can make your nails seem so strong!
However, they really are too good to be true because they do damage under all that glamour. Supposedly gel polish is less damaging to your nails than gel nails, but it will still do damage.
I’ve used gel polish on and off for about three years. After about three or four months of continuous use, I would give a few months break to my nails so they could regain the strength and health they had before I started.
Truth be told, I’ve never suffered from weak nails until I started using gel polish which seems a bit backwards. The reason I have become so infatuated with it is because my nails would look good for weeks and I wouldn’t have to do any maintenance until I reapplied.
It will take a ton of will power for me to not continue using gel polish although there are enough reasons why I should (including the extremely toxic fumes and chemicals in the polish), but until that day, I need something that will help bring my nails back to the healthy state they were in beforehand.
Enter: Nail Strengthening Serum
I have really been digging into the essential oils lately and it truly fascinates me what these oils can do! So it was no surprise that there are oils that actually help harden and strengthen nails. There are also a few carrier oils that help in this department too.
Related: How To Choose Carrier Oils
What can oils do for my nails?
It may seem a bit crazy, but yes, oils can harden your nails and make them healthy! There are a few oils out there that do the trick, but let me tell you why I chose these ones in particular.
Jojoba oil is the oil from a desert shrub, it is bacteria resistant and extremely hydrating. It actually helps other substances absorb into the skin and nails.
Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E is a natural moisturizer and a super-antioxidant. Nails can dry out in colder months or from frequent washes causing them to become brittle. Vitamin E oil can heal and protect the cuticles and keep the nails from becoming dried out.
Lavender, Lemon and Frankincense Essential Oils
All three of these oils have strengthening properties. They can restore moisture to the nails to reduce thinning and breaking all while adding a nice fresh scent to our serum.
Now that you know how it works, let’s get to the fun part!
**Find recipe card at the end of the post**
What You Will Need:
Make sure whichever bottle you chose is glass and tinted; the essential oils can eat at the plastic which will ruin them over a short period of time, and if they are exposed to sun, it can damage them.
1. Place 15 drops of each essential oil into bottle. That’s a total of 60 drops per 10 ml. You can double this as needed
2. Add 1/2 tsp. of Vitamin E Oil and fill the rest with Jojoba Oil. I used a 10 ml roller bottle so it took about 1 3/4 tsp of Jojoba Oil to fill the rest of the bottle. If you’re using a bigger container you can double this as needed.
3. Shake to combine oils. The Vitamin E Oil is a bit thicker than the other oils, so make sure you shake it until the Vitamin E Oil is no longer sitting on the bottom.
The application of your nail serum is very straight forward, but there are a few tips that will make it more effective.
1. Remove all nail polish/gel polish/gel nails
2. Start with clean hands
3. Leave nail area damp for better absorption
4. Shake vigorously to combine oils before use
5. Apply about two or three drops per fingernail and massage in
or if you’re using a roll on bottle, I rolled back and forth a few times on the skin right before my nail started (the roller ball wont roll on fingernails!)
6. Use nail serum two to three times per week for best results
7. Apply before bed and put cotton gloves on for optimal absorption
I’ve been using this serum (as often as I can remember) for the past couple weeks and my nails are back to their long, strong selves! If you try this out, let me know how it works for you.
This post contains affiliate links that help support Sun Kissed Kate at no extra cost to you.
- 1 3/4 tsp. Jojoba Oil
- 15 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 15 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 15 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Vitamin E Oil
- 10 ml Roll On Bottle or Dropper Bottle
- Add Essential oils to roll-on container or dropper
- Add Vitamin E Oil
- Add Jojoba Oil until bottle is full
- Shake to combine
- Remove all nail polish before using
- Start with damp, clean hands
- Shake vigorously before use
- Apply two to three drops per fingernail and massage in
- Use two to three times per week
- Apply at night for best absorption